Host An Event For The Saskatoon SPCA
Friends of the animals, like you, find organizing an event to be fun and rewarding. Generous supporters have raised money for the animals through a variety of different events such as birthday parties, garage sales, kids lemonade stands, and concerts, just to name a few. No matter how large or small, your contribution will make a big difference in the lives of the animals!
Try our easy-to-useto create your event, and start your very own fundraiser for the animals today!
Please note that all events must be approved by the Saskatoon SPCA prior to promoting or executing the event. If you are not able to utilize the online tool above, please submit an Event Proposal Form form by fax, e-mail or mail at least one month before the event date.
How The Saskatoon SPCA Can Help
We can provide the following once your event has been approved:
• Tax receipts, if applicable, or receipting support according to Canada Customs and Revenue Agency guidelines
• A support letter that validates the authenticity of the event
• Limited promotional supplies, such as brochures.
The Saskatoon SPCA cannot provide the following:
• Funding or reimbursement for any event expenses
• Mail/email lists such as donor lists
• Saskatoon SPCA animals to participate in or at the event
• Guaranteed staff, animals, volunteers or representatives to attend or participate in the event
• Applications for gaming licenses, e.g., bingos, lotteries or raffles
• Permits, licenses and insurance
• Access to sponsors
• Prizes, auction items, awards
Planning Your Event
• Brainstorm ideas and decide on what type of event you want to run. The only limit is your imagination! Some examples could be auctions using donated or hand made goods, putting on an Arts and Crafts show, having a garage sale, or throwing a themed party.
• Form an event planning committee, and be sure to recruit enthusiastic people to help you. Decide on roles/tasks for all committee members.
• Set the date and location for your event. Schedule your event for a day, time and location that provides you with plenty of time to plan and promote it properly.
• Set fundraising goals and a budget. It is important you know all your costs before embarking on an event, to help you monitor your expenses as well as helping you to determine your fundraising goals.
• Determine how money will be collected and handled. If you will need tax receipts to be issued to donors and supporters, be sure to see the section below marked "Tax Receipts".
• Determine legal, insurance, liability, permit and safety issues you may need to address.
• Develop a publicity/promotion plan. Flyers, posters and other promotional materials will help generate awareness and excitement about your event. The Saskatoon SPCA can provide you with a limited quantity of materials like brochures, donation boxes, community reports, or calendars upon request.
• Solicit sponsors for help and invite people to participate in the event itself.
• Don’t forget to recognize those who helped organize and participate in the event.
Remember, your application must be approved by the Saskatoon SPCA prior to publicizing or holding events.
Rules and Regulations
The "Event Proposal" form must be submitted to the Saskatoon SPCA one month prior to publicizing or holding the event. The name and logo of the Saskatoon SPCA are registered trademarks and are not permitted for use without receiving written permission. The event must show sufficient potential for income and/or community awareness for the Saskatoon SPCA to warrant the use of the name and/or logo. The Saskatoon SPCA reserves the right to withdraw the use of its name at any time, and will not assume any costs that may be involved in doing so. If the event is cancelled, the event organizer agrees to contact the Saskatoon SPCA at least 48 hours prior to the event. The Saskatoon SPCA will not assume any legal or financial responsibility and is not responsible for any damage or accidents to persons or property.
The Saskatoon SPCA reserves the right to work with the event organizer on promotional and/or publicity efforts. If the logo or name of the Saskatoon SPCA is to be used in any printed form such as brochures, flyers, posters, or banners, it must be approved by the Saskatoon SPCA prior to production. All information released to the media must be reviewed by the Saskatoon SPCA prior to distribution. The event organizer assumes complete responsibility for making media contacts, during which it must be made clear that the Saskatoon SPCA is not the organization requesting the participation of the media. Existing Saskatoon SPCA advertising in newspapers, on television or radio will not be used to benefit the event. Promotion of the event to Saskatoon SPCA staff and volunteers can occur internally, at the discretion of the Saskatoon SPCA.
The Saskatoon SPCA has a legal obligation to be consistent with Canada Customs and Revenue Agency guidelines. To ensure there is a distinction between the Saskatoon SPCA and all third party events, the event organizer must handle all monies until the official donation is submitted to the Saskatoon SPCA. All promotional materials must clearly state the percentage of proceeds that will benefit the Saskatoon SPCA. Money raised must be received within 90 days of the event. A financial accounting of the event income and expenses may be requested by the Saskatoon SPCA upon completion of the event.
The Saskatoon SPCA is a registered charity and will be pleased to issue charitable tax receipts upon request. In order to do so, the Saskatoon SPCA will require an accounting record detailing donations and expenses for your event. The Saskatoon SPCA reserves the right to audit the financial records pertaining to your event.
Income tax receipts will be issued to those who have not received a product or tangible item in exchange for their donation. Tax receipts can be issued to event donors providing that the Saskatoon SPCA’s charitable registration number is displayed on all event materials, and the Saskatoon SPCA receives a clearly written list of the names and addresses of the donors together with their donation amount.
Please note that the Saskatoon SPCA cannot issue tax receipts for product sales or for donated services or paid services such as graphic design, advertising, construction, entertainment, or tent set-up for example.